Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Youth, Open-Airs, and Bags of Chicken

Greetings from Kenya! My first full week was filled with office work. I needed to acquaint myself with the Territory, its procedures, the youth, and prepare for a divisional youth weekend which was held in the Eldoret Division. This was a youth weekend which consisted of youth leader training on Friday, youth seminars and an open air on Saturday, and an open air and worship service on Sunday.















I must admit that being in the office all week was kind of getting me down. I am not much of an “office” kind of guy and I was really questioning why I was here and why God would bring me across the world just to sit in an office. But then I was able to go out and meet the youth and I knew it was all worth it. I was encouraged that my office work was for a purpose and I gained energy from being with the youth. The youth openly welcomed me as there own and made me feel at home (the TYS always tells them that I am now a Kenyan and should be treated as one).

There has been very little leadership development or seminars in this Territory and it was amazing to see so many leaders eager and willing to grow in their knowledge of leading youth.


The open air meetings that we had were like none I have ever been a part of. We marched through the entire town of Turbo for about an hour and then held an open air meeting in the city center. The meeting was about an hour long and consisted almost entirely of singing and dancing. Everyone was dancing and having a good time (I was dancing too, but I know my white boy moves are much different then they are used to. I don't quite have the hip movements down yet.) Turbo is a town with a lot of drunkenness and prostitution and just by dancing with these people we were able to meet and encourage many. Many of the drunkards marched with us back to the corps (church) building and one, Emmanuel, gave his life to Christ and attended church the next morning.

I was in charge of co-leading the leadership training where we taught about leading good and attractive meetings, what are the qualities of a good leader, and what purity in our lives looks like as leaders. For the youth seminars, I taught one on abstinence and one on praise and worship. Our teachings were received well and we were already invited back to the division to teach more sessions to the youth and leaders. The young are hungry for more events, knowledge, and materials and we will do our best to meet the need of the youth.
I now feel more African. I am picking up some kiswahili, i am eating Kenyan foods (like ugali, sukumawiki, and kuku), and I am starting to get used to the way of life here. Praise God that, so far, the language barrier has not been a problem (I spoke without translation to the youth) and that I am feeling more comfortable and "at home", except for when I am stared at as I walk down the street and called "Muzungu", which means European.



We were given a gift of a chicken, so we put it in a plastic bag and threw it in the trunk.
Please pray for:
-A learning spirit
-Wisdom in what to invest time in
-Willingness to work
-To learn Kiswahili
-For the Vacation Bible School program we are currently planning
thanks,
Much love
Justin

4 comments:

A-N-G-E-L-A said...

I think it's so funny that you add "we put it in a plastic bag and threw it in the trunk" like it's no big deal. :) It made me laugh. Praying for you!

Tom McComb said...

We were given a rooster in a cardboard box while visiting a corps in Malawi. It is the ultimate expression of a grateful host.

I appreciate your blog and will follow it while you learn and grow in your faith, Justin.

We will pray for you!

Anonymous said...

Mustin, where is your Justache?

oosurimoo said...

hiii justin..
i keep telling myself i'd come earlier and check up on you and see whats going on.. but life has kept me busy.

I really enjoyed your entry and the pictures.. please be safe.. and i'm definitly going to keep your VBS in my prayers!1

miss you!!