Tuesday, March 17, 2009

First Impressions

Greetings from Kakamega, Kenya. I am happy to say that I have arrived in Kenya safely, have been into the Territorial Headquarters (THQ) for Kenya West, and that I have met all of the territorial staff. Kenya West is a brand new territory (it began March 1, 2008), but it is in great hands. The staff are all wonderful, kind, and capable people.

Kenya is a very nice place. The people are all very hospitable, kind, and welcoming. The weather is much nicer than back in the states, about 85 during the day and 60 at night.

The place where I live is called Shimala Vandu, which means “finishing people”. There used to be a lot of car accidents there and were many fatalities. But The Salvation Army is now there, so we are going to rename it and “reclaim the land for Christ” (which was said by my friend Captain Felisters). I live on a complex with many of the THQ staff, where there is an apartment complex, four houses, and the guest house (my place).

The THQ, since the territory is new, is on the property of the old DHQ and the offices are small, few, and crammed. My office, which consists all of the Youth Department, is about half the size of an average American bedroom and there are three of us in the office. There are other offices in closets, old bathrooms, and one office that seven officers share. But within the next few months we will move into the new THQ building.


This is our current office, with the TYS and the Candidate Secretary and myself.
This is the big, new, unfinished THQ. Its going to be amazing.

Over the weekend, I attended a divisional event for the Kakamega Division at the Musingu Corps. This was a divisional event with about 1,000 people from the division coming together to celebrate Self-Denial Sunday. This was a time of celebration with much dancing, singing, and an Army procession of all the corps marching about one and a half miles. As we were driving to church, we saw Salvation Army soldiers in full white uniform all along the road waiting for a matatus, which are small buses, to take them to the meeting. It was wonderful to see all of the singing, dancing, and giving by the Kenyan Salvationists.

I am doing well and thank you for your prayers. I could use continued prayer for:
-Patience in the tasks set before me
-Faith that I am where I am supposed to be and that God will use me
-That Kiswahili will come easy for me and that I can speak and understand it
-Strength to pursue each day fully
If you wish to get in contant with me while I am in Kenya there are many ways.
1. Contact me through this blog
3. I am on lotus notes (for you army folks)
4. Facebook
5. Skype (i think you can just type in my name)
6. Mail - you can mail letters and the like to me. It will cost you a dollar or so to mail a standard letter (i think). If you want my address email and ask for it.

Thanks and much love,
Justin Rose

2 comments:

Chris S said...

Thanks for sharing! We will enjoy your updates and pictures along the way. Also, the WMB is praying for you--particularly right away as homesickness can be surprisingly strong.

Mike said...

you told your mother that saturday would be your update day. HOW DARE YOU! what time is it there? midnight, on SUNDAY?